This is a fast post is to share some tricks that some of my readers have shared with me recently on my social media sites.
* If your are looking for some Safari Extensions please take a look at this web site because you might find the extensions you were looking for to make your browsing easier. FYI: AlterVideo is interesting:
I don’t know about you guys but I remember during the later part of the 90’s I spent a good amount of time playing Quake. It was so addictive that I actually hid it on my work computer because my boss wasn’t very computer savvy so it was easy to play. Sometimes I would play for hours at at work if I didn’t have pressing tasks, and often it took over my entire lunch break. I know it’s awful but I don’t regret any of this because it was part of my recollection of the late 90s! This is the successor to Doom and the first person shooter was a hit and it changed the way people used to play games.
So let me guess…you bought a second hand Mac computer for a great price and you did not ask or the seller if he/she had the original intall discs and now you have a machine that displays it’s previous owner’s name, which annoys the hell out of you.
The first thing you need to do is create a user account (PLEASE) as Administatror.
After that you can change the name by going into System Preferences > Sharing and on the top “Computer Name” You just type the name you want it to read.
Also you can do the same trick on Terminal…which I recognize that some of you hate messing with it, but I also understand that others have a lot of fun.
sudo scutil –set HostName new_hostname
Simply replace new-hostname with any name you want your hostname to be changed to, like MacPowerPC.
I’m assuming that most of you are already aware of some updates available for PowerPC’s applications, but I decided to make a post just in case you missed it! So this post is really just one for “checking” out information you may not have been aware of. Let’s see how up to date you are!
In my last 2 posts, I was talking about Twitter and we shared some good options for you to ensure you don’t miss any tweets on your PowerPC, but now I want to share some Tumblr applications with you. Be warned, they are not fancy, but they do work!
* Tumblenote 5.2 (Free) – PowerPC friendly 10.4 / 10.5 – http://tumblenote.tumblr.com/ – How many of you actually are on Tumblr.? Using this widget is the easiest/fastest way to update your Tumblr blog right from your Dashboard.
All Mac PowerPC users are well aware that when it comes to Social Networking our applications are limited. It’s hard to find something that might work well for Mac OS X Tiger. In fact it’s virtually possible to find options for the Mac OS X Leopard. I actually still prefer use a good old fashioned Browser, when it comes to searching for these types of media. But this post doesn’t end here, previously we mentioned some applications for Twitter and we got really great feedback from our readers and I wanted to share some more options with you here. the list starts with:
* Twit Menulet 8 (Demo $6.00) – PowerPC friendly 10.3 / 10.4 / 10.5 – http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32331/twit-menulet – With this app it will allow you to check your tweets from a menu bar. Never was it so easy to keep Twitter on and check as many times you want. If anyone is running Panther, please let me know if it worked out for you!
A few weeks ago, I completed a survey about Social Networking and when they asked me which was my favorite kind of Social Network I didn’t even stop to think before acknowledging TWITTER. In fact it’s easy to get addicted to Twitter, in 140 characters or less. Either way its an ingenius platform to share articles and information with your followers. So with that off my chest, let’s now transition to a discussion about some Twitter apps for PowerPC Macs.
* Syrinx 2.3.1 (Free) – http://cl.ly/1j382t2s0P07 – PowerPC friendly, 10.5 / Leopard. Twitter client with strong efficient workflow, easy to keep track of your unread tweets using the bookmarking system, also has Growl support. One more feature is the great search bar that helps to find tweets/retweets etc.
* TweetDeck 2.7.1 (Free) – http://tweetdeck.com/ – PowerPC friendly, 10.5 / Leopard. This application makes the experience of tweeting even more fun and professional. Don’t miss any unread tweets! It also works with columns with diferent customization options including “Mentions”, “Direct Messages”, “Timeline”, and supports more than one account. Download it here: http://tweetdeck.en.softonic.com/mac
* Twitterrific 3.2.4 – http://cl.ly/1Z1q2l113X0y – PowerPC friendly 10.5 but it might work on 10.4 as well. I appreciate your feedback if you happen to test it out.
I understand that a few of you won’t like the idea that the PowerPC is not allowed on Apple’s App Store but just imagine an App Store Card with a value of U$10,000. Did you start salivating? I would buy tons of music and apps for my iPhone and as long as any PowerPC user could use this card on the iTunes Store, would make me happy. I would be able to download all the new records that I want to listen to and because it was free money, I’d try out new bands I’d never heard of before! So I don’t want to get too excited, so I will stop here. The good news is that PowerPC users still have a shot at this, even without an App Store on our machines… you go to this link, fill out the form and cross your fingers: http://www.apple.com/ca/itunes/50-billion-app-countdown/entry-form/
Good luck…I understand that they are about to hit 50 billion downloads worldwide!
What do you guys think about a PowerPC forum? Our friend created one and we are happy to share it with you. Also we have some new blogs coming out to better support the PowerPC community. As you know we take pride in supporting the outcasts, because apparently the Mac PowerPC is one of them! You also can see this post later in Recommended.
I don’t know if every reader of this blog shares my philosophy that too much protection is never enough, when it comes to technology. In line with this mantra, the first thing I usually do after purchasing new or second hand electronics is to buy some hardware protection. It is my style to ensure I buy this from a different store that I purchase my hardware from, as I’m always looking for a better deal. BTW – Excuse me Apple Store, I don’t think I would ever pay that much money for a Michael Kors case! I’m not questioning the quality but the price is just off the charts! At the end of the day, it’st just a sleeve! Anyone that watches Project Runway knows that at the end of the day the most expensive part of merchandise is the name attached to it. Now, I know that It’s not my job to decide if the price is right or not, but I’m a customer and as a customer I would appreciate someone that could think ahead and create a laptop sleeve that brings more usuability to the customer. I’m pleased to announce that this isn’t crazy talk because someone (actually 2 people) really thought outside of the box and created SafeSleeve!
This project is still searching and raising funds to start putting this excelent Sleeve out there. SafeSleeve goes beyond just keeping your laptop protected…in fact, it actually protects you from your laptop! SafeSleeve is a multi-functional laptop accessory that provides protection for your computer when on the go and in use; and most importantly, personal protection from Electromagnetic Field (EMF) Radiation.
SafeSleeve also provides a desktop workstation that includes a mouse pad and is optimized to allow airflow to your laptop on any surface. In my opinion, this is a great touch, especially for those that are travelling all the time, as it’s not practical to rely on the provisions of your airplane seatback support, or the scratched, dirty surface of your local coffee shop.
SafeSleeve is a lightweight, sleek and stylish sleeve that will fit and protect most laptops. This combination of features, its sleek and stylish design, and premium quality makes SafeSleeve a must own for any laptop user.
You can also check this post out in our new Review section.
We usually prefer to share this information on our Facebook Page: http://facebook.com/macpowerpc or Twitter: @macpowerpc but we thought that it would be important to share it here on our blog because some of you may not be into Social Networking. Download 40 FREE Mac fonts, no purchase necessary!
When we stop to think about how the internet has changed in last ten years it’s almost unbelievable. When the internet first started, most people didn’t know how to handle it and to get to the position that we are today is just awesome. Most PowerPC users are old enough to remember how things were in the early 1990s and now twenty years later we see that the most common thing is to share information and sync devices on the cloud..,it’s just a common fact of computer life now! A while ago, I was very impressed because Google released a new operating system entitled Google Chromium, which ran on the web, which I thought would change everything, especially the way we purchase computers. The cloud services were also something which improved and brought everything to another level in a short time span. Citrix ShareFile is thinking ahead and decide to hone in and focus on the business market.
Citrix ShareFile – It’s easy to use, Professional and Secure. It’s the easiest way to share large business files with your choice of one person or a hundred. Just click to send a file link on a navigation bar, enter an e-mail address and upload your file. It uploads files up to 10GB in size. Desktop tools, mobile apps or just launch your browser to manage your account.
Everybody knows that even small expenditures add up… In my opinion, tracking your money and your expenses are fundamental to the health of your pocket. PowerPC computers are a great tool to help you in tracking because they run some of the web’s best applications that have been specially designed to help you in your quest. Check back to some of our previous posts here on Mac PowerPC and you will find quite few of them in our archive. But today I wanted to share the following with you;
* Budget Workbook – 1.7.5 (Shareware) – PowerPC friendly – Panther / Tiger / Leopard – 10.3/10.4/10.5. http://www.snowmintcs.com/products/workbookmac/ It’s a simple expense tracker, easy to use with a very friendly interface that will easily help you to find where your money is going.
* Pay It Down – 1.4.1 (Shareware) – PowerPC friendly – Panther / Tiger / Leopard – 10.3/10.4/10.5. http://www.snowmintcs.com/products/payitdownmac/ . Graph your debt profile. See when you will be out of debt. Determine the best strategy for getting out of debt.
Remember your donations help support this blog and are always appreciated. I encourage you to make a budget and stick with it, to make sure you won’t be in the red.
We know that Finder is a necessity for every Mac user. But have you ever wished that you had a better finder rename feature on your Mac, that would actually save you time, and help you in your quest for organization? I have good news for you:
* A Better Finder Rename – 8.76 (shareware) Leopard 10.5
* A Better Finder Rename – 220.127.116.11 (shareware) Tiger 10.4
* Download Version 7.5.1 for Mac OS X 10.3.
* Download Version 6.5.5 for Mac OS X 10.2.
* Download Version 5.9.6 for Mac OS 9
This app is a great option and most complete renaming solution for Finder. It’s very easy to use, following the drag and drop method, and is a very friendly interface. Now there are no excuses for you to start organizing your files, photos and MP3 files with their proper names.
This is an application that every Mac user should have and if you have a large number of pictures or music files, this application is a must for your own good. It will be the best $19.99 that you ever spend on your computer!
For use with iTunes, you can extract the artwork from the selected track’s ID3 tag and copy it to an image file in a chosen location. It is also a fully fledged artwork manager as it can fetch album covers from all over the internet!